CHOOSING A CHILDCARE CHECKLIST
- What is the background and training of teachers and staff?
- Does the childcare center abide by state regulations for ratios?
- Is the educational philosophy one that will fit with your child?
- Does the curriculum balance education and play appropriately?
- What is the amount of time spent outdoors?
- Is a significant amount of the day dedicated to physical fitness?
- How are nutritious meals and snacks incorporated into your child’s everyday routine?
Equipment and Supplies
- Has the childcare center provided developmentally appropriate educational tools and aids?
- Does playground equipment meet federal and safety standards?
- Have learning aids and furniture been designed for maximum comfort and learning?
- Are detailed inspections and evaluations of the childcare facility performed before any piece of equipment is brought onto the premises?
- Does the daycare center appear exceptionally clean, both inside and outside?
- Are there established guidelines for sanitizing the diapering stations, bathrooms, kitchens, toys and tables?
- Does the staff sanitize and cleanse the entire facility on a regular basis?
- When you walk around the daycare center does it smell fresh and clean?
- How involved do you feel you will be with your child’s experience at the daycare center?
- What kind of constant communication does the center promise?
- How open are the teachers and staff about talking with you?
- Are they willing to share information about your child’s activities daily?
Health & Safety Features
- Do all entries and exits provide controlled access?
- Are there established fire alarms/security systems/evacuation procedures posted?
- Is there stable fencing surrounding the entire facility?
- Is there a well-established health and safety program?
- Is a health check performed every morning by each child’s teacher to look for signs and symptoms of illness?
- Have all staff members and teachers had background checks?
- Does the daycare center layout allow for constant sight and sound contract with your child?
- Is the childcare classroom configuration one that promotes safe learning and encourages creativity